DNS Belgium is a not-for-profit organisation established in 1999 by ISPA Belgium (Internet Service Providers Association), Agoria (federation for the technology industry) and BELTUG (Belgium’s communication technology and services user Group). Our aim is to register domain names, to make the internet more accessible and to support its usage..
Please find all information in the statutes (dutch version) or the french translation.
Following tasks are performed by DNS Belgium:
- set up registration policies & procedures and rules and regulations
- organize quality assurance of domain name registration in Belgium
- organize all technical aspects related to the registration
- make agreements with registrars
- coordinate domain name registration at a national level
- represent .be, .vlaanderen and .brussels in international regulatory bodies and work groups.
- follow the evolution of domain name technology.
- stimulate standardization.
- stimulate cooperation between Internet Service Providers.
On December 11th 2000 we completely decentralized registration through our new registrar network. The application procedure was automated and made simpler. Individuals can also obtain a domain name and general words/names can be registered.
registrarIs the entity that registers a domain name for a company, organization or person. Next to the “resale” of web addresses registrars can also offer hosting services, web design...
DNSDomain Name System or Domain Name Server. The global DNS is the system and protocol used on the internet to translate domain names into IP addresses and vice versa.